Overweight Dog? What can be done to help them lose weight?
Over 40% of all dogs in the U.K. are classed as overweight or obese. Overfeeding and a lack of exercise are the two main reasons cited by vets and nutritional experts for dogs being too overweight. Here are our top tips for helping your dog to reduce their weight and to keep this weight off long term.
- Reduce food intake. Portion precision is key. Follow the feeding guide on your bag of dog food and then weight this amount out. This way you know exactly how much their portion will look like for each meal.
- Choose a calorie reduced dog food. Trophy Premium Lite or Trophy Premium Grain Free Weight Control.
- Develop and then stick to an increased exercise routine.
- Feed two or three small meals per day, rather than one large meal per day.
- Do not feed any treats, titbits or human food, no matter how hard this may be!
- Keep a food diary, so the whole family can see what the dog has eaten so far on any one day.
- Monitor your dog's weight loss. Ask your local Trophy Nutritional Adviser to weigh your dog each month. This is a free service.
- Refer to the PFMA Size-O-Meter. This guide is an excellent starting point to see what your dog should look like in terms of weight.
Remember weight loss in a dog is a slow, but steady process and can take up to 6 months to see a significant difference. But one that will have tremendous benefits for them long term.